Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gamburger?






This installment of burger club took me too a far away land called Kyrgyzstan. It was here that I discovered the gamburger (that's the Kyrgyz version of the hamburger). Long story short, it was made with sliced beef or chicken (cooked shwarma style), cabbage, ketchup, smetana (aka sour cream), carrots and tomatoes. Folks, it was pure heaven. I will say without a moment of hesitation that this gamburger by far surpassed some of the so called hamburgers I have had in the US or abroad. Well done Bishkek, well done. The meat was tender and full of flavor, the condiments fresh and well I don't need to tell you about the smetana, the picture explains it all. As with any burger outing, it is the atmosphere and company which make or break it. Once again, I can safely say that this trip ranks very high in my books folks and it will not soon be forgotten. I might need to go back soon and have another gamburger or two. A special shout out and thanks goes to a new friend, Ailey, who insisted that I try the gamburger. Finally, I want to thank the kind folks at the gamburger stand who were so excited by our presence that they presented us with a parting gift, 3 Samsas (see description below). Yum, kids, Yum.


Samsa – (Samsi in the plural) are baked meat dumplings often cooked in a tandoor (clay oven). Please be aware (not warned) of the heat and the fatty juice that squirts out when you bite into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment